I just wanted to jot down some post-marathon thoughts:
· I'm a Marathon'er - but still a newbie, with a lot to learn.
· Today is the first day that I could walk DOWN stairs. My quads are still in pain. Vitamin-I is hardly working.
· I’ve run twice since Saturday, and it felt like running in MUD.
· It was such a beautiful day. I’m very thankful that I got to experience it with my family. They ran up to me as I crossed the finish line, and it was fantastic.
· The cannon was awesome. They fired it twice while I was there. Once for the start of the Marathon, and once to start the “kids” marathon.
· The rolling hills kept things interesting. There were not a lot of flat spaces, except the first 2 miles, and the last 2 miles.
· Did I mention that my legs are STILL sore?
· 26.2 miles is a long way, but I enjoyed at least 22.2 of those miles. The other 4, not so much.
· I want to run this marathon again. Like Craig said, the finisher’s medal is very cool. My other fall Marathon wish list would be Chicago or Marine Corps – The People’s Marathon.
· I think running easy miles at the beginning through mile 12 was a good plan. I think I can push it faster, we shall see.
· I ran a “negative split" – un-intentionally. My ½ pace was 2:00:57, and I finished 3:57:27.
This weekend I am volunteering at the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon that some 200 brave souls are running over at Percy Warner Park. One loop of the 11.2 miles usually kicks my can, I can’t image doing 2 loops, plus some extra.
Ok, now here is my secret pact I made with “myself”. There is less than 3 weeks until the Vegas Marathon. Around mile 20 of Chickamauga, I kinda knew I had a shot at a sub-4 hour finish, which was my DEEP DOWN UNANNOUNCED GOAL. So I said to myself “Do this one in under 4 and really run SLOW at Vegas, because you are a newbie and all, and it will HURT.”
So, at this point, I am not absolutely positive that I will try and PR Vegas. My brain says that a 3:45 is do-able, which is a 8:35 per mile pace. My legs are trying to convince my brain, otherwise…….