Saturday, November 21, 2009

Now.... The taper.

I'm ready for the "official" taper period. My legs are fully back under me and feeling fine. I have been able to easily complete an 8 and 7 mile run, at decent pace, on consecutive days (Thursday and Friday.)

I'm really considering this entire year, one long training period, and I'm ready for it to end. For a few weeks after I had recovered from my calf injuries after the Country Music Half Marathon in May, were the only time I was not training for a race. I look back and think that these were some of my favorite weeks of the year. I did the most speed work during this time, and this helped in my short and longer distance road work.

One thing I am itching to do is to bust past that 1,000 mile mark. After the Vegas Marathon, I will make some plans for next year. Probably 2 or 3 Halfs, and 1 or 2 more 26.2's. My nephew's have talked about running the Tom King Half in March together which would be fun. I would love to go down to Chattanooga and run a trail run. The Country Music Marathon is a given, not sure if I will do 13.1 or 26.2. Stephanie is considering running the Half, so I may go that route.

More to come on the planning and goal setting. First things first. The Taper.......


3 comments:

  1. The taper felt a little weird to me - enjoyable but weird to cut back on running so much. Hopefully you'll be all rested for Vegas.

    To answer your question, Calgary Marathon is at the end of May. I did my first marathon on relatively minimal mileage, 3 runs a week. I wanted more miles this round, and Pfitzinger seems to be incredibly popular. -Not sure I'm ready for a cortizone shot, but good to know that it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The taper is always tough for me; that time when you've done the work and all that's left is to rest, eat well, and hope you don't get some fluke illness. I, too, am ready to have no plan for awhile - just run cuz it's what I want to do, not what I have to do!
    Enjoy the taper. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. :)