Tuesday, December 1, 2009

26.2 or Bust - RnR Las Vegas Style

First off, I want to thank everyone who has followed me on this blog for the last few months as I have trained for my first Marathon. All your words of encouragement and advice have been greatly appreciated.

My mantra for this coming race is a quote from T.S. Elliot - "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go."

What this means to me, is: GO STRONG OR GO HOME ! ! !

Being a newbie, and somewhat injury prone, I have taken a cautious approach to my race running. Only one race have I felt that I have left it all on the road, with nothing left in the tank. I realize that running races is a process, especially with us who have this newly founded hobby. Leaving it all out on the road, though, is a different type of beast. Truly pushing ones self to go beyond your limits, and leave the comforts of the "conservative nature" is somewhat hard.

Steve Prefontaine is a very quotable and successful runner back in the 70's when running really exploded. He was notorious for wanting to bury his opponents, and leave them in his dust. One of his quotes goes, "A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more."

So, what's it gonna be?? I'm going to shoot for one goal only, if I fail, at least I will leave it on the track.

3:45 3:40 (Thanks for keeping me honest, Jesse)

I'll try and post some pic's of Las Vegas and the expo before the race.

7 comments:

  1. 3:45? You can do that, it's only 12 minutes faster than your "training run".

    Good luck in Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3:40? Pssh! Shoot for the moon. At least if you miss you'll land amongst the stars.

    jk. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited!! I will be thinking about you on Sunday morning while I am in my PJs drinking my coffee :)...wishing I was running a Marathon too!

    Good Luck! I can't wait to hear all about it! Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck! can't wait to hear all about it. get that 3:40!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3:40 for sure, you can do it!! Can't wait to hear about it - all my best!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to hear how your marathon went....hope to see you in Boston!: )

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did Vegas go? Get in any trouble after the race? I know I would have!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. :)