Friday, January 1, 2010

Recap - Old Man's Fat Ass "50K"

Happy New Year - 2010, everyone. I hope everyone had a great New Year's celebration. For me, it was an early wake-up call and a quick trip down to the Murfreesboro Greenway for Old Man's Fat Ass 50K 32K.

Yes, I put my EGO in the cooler this morning, and followed Kenny Rogers advice - "you got to know when to fold em'." Around mile 17, I was in full Marathon Zombie stroll, and knew it was time to pack it in. By mile 20, I had a 2nd wind, but knew if I continued on, it would be a week before I recovered, and I don't want to mess up my Pfitzinger training plan.

I met up with Old Man at the Bragg HQ trail-head on the Murfreesboro Greenway, with about 15 other "brave souls." It was a balmy 25 degrees, with a northerly breeze making the wind chill around 9. Dirk took a picture and we were off. The plan was a 4 mile loop around the Stones River Battlefield, back to Gen Bragg trail-head, and a 6 mile out-and-back to Cannonsburgh Village trail-head, making a 10.1 mile "loop" 3 of these loops was the original goals of 50K or around 30.3 miles (which is not quite 50K, but anything over 26.2 is pretty much a 50K, by UltraMarathoner standards - which I am NOT).

So, without further ado, here is a pictorial reviews of Old Man's Fat Ass 32K.


Out toward the Battlefield for the 1st loop



I was momentarily in the lead pack, but stopped a bunch to take pictures.



Up and around the Battlefield visitors center.



The ladies buried me and never looked back.



Out the Battlefield and back to Bragg.



4 mile point. Gen. Bragg's HQ marker at Stones River Battlefield.




Now on the Murfreesboro Greenway for 6 miles.






 I've been on this greenway for hundred's of miles, and this is the 1st time I've slowed down to take pictures. Murfreesboro greenway is a FABULOUS place to run.



The Stones River runs right beside the greenway. Pictures do not give it justice.



Trestle bridge over the river.



Stones River from the trestle bridge.



Somewhat fresh around mile 6.



Murfreesboro Ultra legend, David Jones on the left. Old Man in the middle. Brandon from Fleet Feet on the right. They're about a mile ahead of me, at this point (7 miles into the run - LOL)



1700's era Murfreesboro village.



Mile 7 turnaround at Cannonsburgh Village.



 Past the Bark Park around mile 9.5.



Up to the pavilion at Gen Bragg HQ for the finish of loop #1, Mile 10. There was some great Chicken soup and sandwiches for refreshments.



I was DONE around mile 16 or so. Geez, and I call myself an "Endurance Athlete".



"Folded" after 2 loops.





8 comments:

  1. hey still wayyy more impressive than any mileage i've been running lately :) happy new year!

    and i don't know that i'd take my stock advice. i don't know if i have any to give really, haha. i bought ford when it was just a few bucks and had faith they would hang in there through the auto buyouts of '09 and all. thankfully, they did alright so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! Looks like a cool place to run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't win 'em all. But you are correct; form the pictures you've taken that looks like a tremendous place to run. I may do a 5 mile run in historic Valley Forge (PA) in April if I can recover from my marathon. Historic battlefields are some of the coolest places to go for a run (even if it is cut short).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job!!!! You should be so proud of yourself!! Looks so nice and scenic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 20 miles in those temps is still quite a feat. I give you extra points for knowing when to stop, rather than killing yourself and needing to recover for the next month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost died after my 5k in downtown Nashville. That was a great run considering the temperature. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been running in similar temps here in UT. Not easy!! I loved the pics. Looks like a beautiful run.

    And I ate pancakes the night before my half and seemed good to go the next morning. I might just make pancakes my tradition, too! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. :)