Saturday, October 24, 2009

Rest and Recover

For my "young running career", the past 30 days have been my most productive.
  • Run 21 of 30 days
  • 153 Miles in 24 hours and 8 minutes
  • 2 runs of 16 or more miles 
I had a long run planned for today, but took the girls and dad to Bicentennial Mall to see the historial re-enactments. So, this is 2 straight off days, but my body kind of needed the additional rest.

Not so with Ultra-Marathon man Dean Karnazas, who last year ran 50 Marathons in 50 Days.  26.2 miles a day. 1,310 miles in 50 days. He capped it off by running the NY Marathon in 3:00 flat. Incredible display of endurance. He is indeed the Energizer bunny - he just goes and goes. I watched the move last night, and it is incredibly inspiring. On top of that, he ran out of the NY hotel 2 days after the race, and ran 1,300 miles to somewhere in Kansas, just to "clear his head." MONKEY, SAY WHAT ??

 Tomorrow starts my final push to the 2 marathons. I'm certainly unsure of how it is going to go - do I have what it takes? do I have enough base? will I have enough in the tank and be able to push through?

I'll certainly be thinking of Dean while out of my 20 miler next weekend, and during the upcoming races. One of Dean's primary inspirational quotes in the movie is "What counts in battle is what you do once the pain sets in." - John Short

1 comment:

  1. I just bought that book! Amazing!!! He says he's just a normal guy?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. :)